Princess Ky Background - The cutest blog on the block

Friday, January 14, 2011

My Little Stinker



Recently, I did a little unofficial poll among my facebook friends and family.  The question I asked was this...


I know this is a VERY strange question, but in your house, how does your family refer to (or what words do you say) to talk about a "fart"/ "passing gas"...  (I know it is such a taboo topic, but I really want to know)

Can you believe that I received more responses to this question than I have ever received to any other status update I have posted?  It was no surprise to me, but might be to some of my more prudish readers, that... sit down... it seems EVERYONE does this!!

The thing I love is that every family has their own way of handling this body function. The "horror" of all bodily functions actually creates a bonding experience and community for each cluster of people.

The responses were so interesting...

*For some, the word "fart" is the equivalent of the "F-word" (the OTHER F-word) and to utter the word was/is a major offense in some families and schools- spankings occurred, papers had to be written and children were expelled... oh my!!

*Some alternate words/phrasing (used in the families of my friends) are as follows:
  • Toot/tweet
  • Bottom burps
  • Ducks quacking
  • In one family, girls: fluffy and boys: cut muffins
  • Spuff
  • Pull my finger
  • Blint
  • Air bender
  • Gas
  • Stinky Poo
  • Burp
  • Air Duce
  • Rooty-toot
  • Russian word meaning "a cute little farting doll"
  • Cut the cheese
  • Harvey 
  • Stinker
  • Poot
  • Who did "It" 
  • Punky
  • Fluffed
  • Whiffle
 *I found it hilarious that a common denominator in all of the families was that everyone always wants to know "WHO" did it!

So, what has occurred in my life that prompted me to ask such a question on such a hush-hush topic? 

You see, I have a daughter that experiences Autism.  Specifically, PDD:NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified).  One of the major medical issues of children and adults with Autism is severe bowel issues.  The majority of them suffer from horrible constipation.

I know this is an uncomfortable topic for many, but if you want to understand our family better and in the process gain knowledge about Autism, here is your chance... I'm chatting no holds barred!  For those of you concerned that my daughter will be scarred for life when she reads this someday, fear not.  I intend to train my daughter that sometimes we do hard things in order to make a difference in the lives of others.

Be sure to read this post in its entirety as there are a few funny stories I'll put at the end (related to the topic of course) - a reward for your toil.

The constipation in these children is so severe that they often prostrate themselves on furniture to relieve pain.  Their little bellies become really distended and their intestines stretch to accommodate the foreign substance.  It causes major problems and is very difficult to toilet train the children.

Often times the problem causes reflux and vomiting. The family tends to become home-bound because both "ends" are affected and it is difficult to manage in public.  This is one of the many reasons that families who experience autism can feel so isolated!

Much of the conversation in our home revolves around the bowels- tracking, observation, medicating and etc. The treatment usually requires Miralax therapy, mineral oil, diaper rash cream and other common remedies...

When Kylie is on Miralax, it takes several days to "kick in" and then she will have loosened bowels (never formed) for many days until we have to stop the process because her poor skin can't take any more.  It is a miserable thing to endure...

When she is not medicated, the refuse is about the size of a baseball and sometimes larger and as hard as a rock.  I honestly don't know how her body is not torn in two.

The other day, Kylie's diaper kept making "noises" and we kept asking her "Are you poopy?".... she never answers but we want her to recognize what it is she is doing.  As a result, she became very familiar with this lingo.

 A few days later, I bent over to do something and my jeans "made a noise" (I can't believe I am sharing this- but it happens to the best of us right??) and Kylie, quick as a wink, said "Mommy!  Are you poopy?"

Dan and I cracked up laughing and soon began to reminisce about the first time he came to meet my family.  

My family lived in Pennsylvania at the time.  Of the 6 of us, 4 are females.  My family loves to play games so we settled down for a rousing game of Pictionary. The first word that Dan pulled from the deck and had to draw was "bikini".  Here he was trying to make a good impression with my mom and sisters and he had to draw a picture of a bikini... It was so funny!!  

Later in the game, The female sitting across from Dan leaned over the table to draw a card and in doing so "let one fly"... Dan, to diminish this person's embarrassment, quick as a wink, pointed to the sky and said "Did you see that Duck go by?" We all fell to the floor laughing... it was hilarious!!  Talk about an ice breaker!!

As I pondered these things in my heart and enjoyed a good chuckle over the memories.. I found myself thinking of these verses.

He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.
Prov 17:9

and


A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.
Prov 19:11

How thankful I am that God is a forgiving God.  That he is willing to put my offenses as far as the east is from the west.  When I confess the offense and turn from my stinky ways, He promises to never bring it up again.

Praise God for his forgiveness and mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment